Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Northbrook Street Newbury Closed

The main shopping street was closed on Saturday the 14th of November in the busy lead up to Christmas. I approached the town centre with my son Ben after just seeing Night at the Museum 2 in the Newvuebury cinema , yes that pile of pants from a previous post.



We could see a two fire engines and a police car. It looked very serious. The road was cordoned off from pedestrian access with police officers and firemen all around the scene. It looked to me as if there might be a fire above one of the shops. I thought this to be the case as I could see the crane of the fire engine move close to a window above Robert Dyas. Ben and I moved in for a closer look and I spoke to a police woman. She told me that one of metal cables that had been holding up a large banner that spanned the road, had sheered off the side of the building.



It had been whipping around in the strong winds, lashing against the ground. Thankfully no one had been injured, I was also relieved to find out that there had not been another fire. I say another because only a few months before the nearby HMV had been gutted by fire.

No comments: